5 - 7 Granny Smith apples (other varieties work well too)
about 6 tablespoons butter (unsalted)
3 tablespoons flour
3 - 4 tablespoons brown sugar, plus more to taste
1 teaspoon cinnamon, plus more to taste
½ teaspoon nutmeg
½ teaspoon ginger
vanilla ice cream
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Wash and core apples. Slice apples and place in an oven-safe casserole dish or
2. To keep apples moist, plop a few spoonfuls of butter on top of sliced apples.
3. In a separate bowl, combine flour, about 3 tablespoons butter, cinnamon, brown sugar, nutmeg and ginger (you might want to make more or less of this mixture, depending on how much topping you want on the apples). Drop mixture evenly over apples. Sprinkle extra brown sugar and cinnamon over apples, to taste.
4. Bake apples for 35 - 45 minutes, or until apples are soft. Let cool at least 5 minutes before stirring to coat apples with spices.
5. Serve warm, over vanilla ice cream.
P.S. - view a recipe postcard with this baked apples recipe.