A cute baby giraffe with the text "Welcome Little One". Customizable inside text reads, "Love, laughter and joy are on the way! Happy baby shower." A fun way to present your baby shower gift. View this card and more in our Zazzle shop!
Follow the story of a curious snail who travels through some mushrooms. When he spots a kite in the sky, he goes to investigate. Finding a kite on the ground, he wonders what it is and climbs aboard. When the kite takes off, the snail is frightened but eventually learns to enjoy his adventure! This picture book is great for allowing a young reader to imagine and narrate his or her own story along with the illustrations.
-Book size: 8" by 6".
-28 pages, professional trade paperback bound book.
-Original illustrations were created with watercolor, pen & colored pencil.
Artist: Melissa (Rohr) Gindling
Artwork © 2016 by Melissa (Rohr) Gindling.
View this item in our shop!
Here's a new illustration for the season: a holiday deer in snow! This festive watercolor can be found on a variety of new products, including greeting cards, gift tags, a stationery set, and postage stamps. View more in our Etsy shop.
Quite often I'm asked how I create my illustrations, so here's a little project you can try at home.
Begin with a blank sheet of watercolor paper. One of the most important things for me is the correct type of paper. A high quality watercolor paper is needed for the paint/water to cooperate. Here, I'm using Canson's cold press watercolor paper. For larger and more finished projects, it's wonderful to experiment with the other high-quality papers found at Blick and other art stores. I've torn off a little piece about 5.5 x 4" for this project.
Caption this blue whale illustration!
Gliding upon your wall, this sweet blue whale explores the ocean. Let this aquatic animal bring a splash of fun to each day!
Caption this orangutan illustration!
Today we're giving one visitor a $5 coupon for TheInkyOctopus.com! For a chance to win, please leave a caption/comment below. The best caption will be chosen on 7/19. Edit: The winner has been emailed. Thanks for playing!
Springtime is here! Suggest a name for the new hedgehog illustration above for a chance to win a $15 coupon to TheInkyOctopus.com. Leave a comment below with your idea, and we'll randomly choose a winner on April 26.
Perched on your wall, this cheerful hedgehog is enjoying springtime. Let your critter friend add a bit of woodland fun to each day!
Choosing a frame:
1. Bring your artwork/print along when choosing a frame. Try to pick a frame that enhances the artwork, but doesn't distract from it. Often, you can find a frame in the same style or color scheme as the artwork. Make sure to choose a frame you like, as you are displaying this artwork for your own enjoyment! Often a frame shop associate can help suggest possible options.
2. If you are not planning on matting the artwork, try a wider frame moulding instead of a thin one.
Choosing a mat:
3. Using a mat border is always recommended, especially for original artwork. It helps to support the art, so that it does not bend. It also allows safe handling of the art, and allows the art to breath when framed.
4. When purchasing a print from The Inky Octopus, you can choose the color of your mat frame. When choosing the color of your mat, pick something that will compliment the artwork and frame. When in doubt, a white or cream colored mat is a great neutral choice.
5. You can also find pre-cut mats at art supply and frame shops. Make sure to choose an archival/acid free mat, to insure it does not damage the artwork. You can also find acid free backing board and tape.
We've been hard at work creating new items for our fall and winter shows! Here's a selection of what we'll be bringing along to Strange Folk Festival on September 27 + 28.
- New coloring books: Woodland Coloring Book and Aquatic Coloring Book
- Scented bath salts
- Fun stationery sets, featuring notecards, postcards and stickers
- Framed mini illustrations
- New art prints
- Themed essential oils sets
- New incense blends, including Koala's Outback Incense
Melissa and Matthew attended Paint Webster this past weekend, and we enjoyed painting/drawing some trees and flowers in Blackburn Park. The work displayed at the following reception from the other 100+ artists was very impressive and inspiring!
The Inky Blog
Follow our newest critter illustrations, events, printables, and gift ideas.