Some of you may have already seen this video; it's one I created a couple years back for a class. It's a stop-motion animation about a whimsical octopus, with music by Matthew Gindling. It's a little silly, but hopefully it will make you smile!
1 15.25 oz box of your favorite cake mix & the ingredients it requires
1 16 oz tub of icing (white or light-colored)
food coloring (blue works best)
gummy fruit slices or gumdrops
a few chocolate chips
1. Bake the cake mix according to the directions on the box for cupcakes. Let the cupcakes cook completely.
2. Mix a few drops of food coloring into the icing to make your favorite color. Ice the cupcakes.
3. Unwrap a lollypop. Carefully cut off the handle of the lollypop, leaving about 1 inch. Place the lollypop (stick down) into the center of the cupcake, making the octopus' head.
4. Place eight gummy worms around the head, forming the tentacles. If your gummy worms are two-toned, you may want to trim them down to one color.
5. Using a knife, cut two sections of a fruit slice or gumdrop, and mold them into circles. Stick the circles onto the lollypop head.
6. Melt a few chocolate chips. Using a toothpick, draw the chocolate onto the eyes for the octopus' pupils.
7. Enjoy your octopus cupcakes! For best taste, store for up to 24 hours.
P.S. - view a postcard with this recipe on Zazzle!
Did you enjoy this tutorial? Check out our entire selection of freebies. Can I send you an email to let you know about new freebies and critter illustrations? Join my email list!
Here's a sneak peak inside the proof copy of our new Octopus Coloring Book…available soon!
The Inky Blog
Follow our newest critter illustrations, events, printables, and gift ideas.